Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Talking points #2

Richard Rodriguez, Aria

Premise
  • Family
  • Language
  • Change
  • Diversity
  • Individuality
  • Culture
  • Embarassment

Author's Argument

'Rodriguez argues that when your family is from a foregin country, you automatically loose your own individuality; because "one is obliged to adapt to an unfamiliar language" it is hard to change what one is used too.

Evidence

  • The nun would persist, 'Richard stand up. Don't look at the floor. Speak up, speak to the entire class, not just to me; But I couldn't believe that the english language was mine to use.
  • I neede a full yaer of special attention
  • I couldn't use Mama and Papa. They would have been too painful reminders of how much had changed in my life.

Comments

'Rodriguez expresses his feelings about change through his family and education. It is hard for him to adjust to speaking english in the beginning, but he noticed that him and his family learning english seems to pull them apart. Learning english and to speak properly is a struggle; especially if it is not your first language. I really can not realte to this situation, but my parents are from Nigeria, and I know it was hard for them to adjust. I wish I could speak Nigerian to my parents. I only can understand I kmow some words, but can not speak fluently, which is sad! I really liked when Richard finally spoke up in class, and felt equal instead of being looked at as the kid that couldn't speak english.

2 comments:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

Felicia,

I love the connection you make to your inability to speak to your parents in Nigerian. Do you know if your parents experince that as a loss -- not being able to communicate with you that way?

LB :)

Felicia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.