Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Talking Points


Peggy Mclntosh, "White Privilege"
  • White Privilege
  • Ignorance
  • Dominance
  • Overpower

Mclntosh argues that white people have a better privilege in the world; than people of color do. Being white puts her in advantage.

Mclntosh points out the privileges

  • I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
  • I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such location will be neutral or pleasant to me.
  • I can chose blemish or badages in" flesh" color that more or less matches my skin.

In reading the text I liked the way Mclntosh points out her ideas, she makes a statement that I truly agree on. "This is not such a free country; ones life is not what one makes of it; many doors open for certain people through no virtues of their own". I agree with this staement, because If all the things she has pointed out in the text are true; we are NOT living in a free country. I can see some similarties in this textand Johnson's piece "Privilege, Power, and Difference, They bothe discuss almost the same thing. Both authors state some of the privilegesof the white race; going out shopping, and not being followed, not being looked at in a different way. Mclntosh stated her facts and mind very well, all she wants is freedom and equality for all.

1 comment:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

That quote is one of my favorite ones in the article! Great connection to Johnson. Glad you could see the resonance between them.

LB :)